Friday, May 16, 2008

Flashback Friday

Okay, Kristin asked that I contribute to the blog, so here it is, me as a young Neil Peart, Buddy Rich or Gene Cruppa (my aunts words inscribed on the back of the photo [he was a famous jazz drummer]). This was my first trip on an airplane when I got to visit my Auntie Monica for a week in San Francisco all by myself in the summer of 1980 at the tender age of 9. My aunt lived in a penthouse on the top of a building near the world famous Transamerica Building in the financial district of the City by the Bay.

I lived the good life for a whole week. Got to go to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown and hang out at Pier 39. My aunt owned a restaurant on Pier 39, The Eagle Cafe, so I got to hang out at the carousel and arcade all day long. Since my aunt worked in the restaurant business, we out for dinner every night, and this was 5 star dining! Yum.

After all that hard "work", my aunt pulled out her snare drum, banjo and we made music around the piano. (I have a sneaky suspicion that she may have been a beatnik at one time.) This is when I knew that I wanted to be a drummer.

Oh, and ask me how fast we were going to get my aunt's girlfriend's 1962 Jaguar E type airborne on the streets of San Francisco.

2 comments:

Meli said...

nice contribution!!! Love the pic--nice beret!! Sounds like a fun aunt--I should be that fun aunt in my family:)

Kristen said...

Aaron, we are so glad you decided it's okay to join the blogging world. Love the Flashback Friday. I can see your kids in your pic. Plus, I didn't know until recently that you played the drums. Ward talent show here we come!