Friday, August 1, 2008

Flash Back Friday - Taking to the Sky

Seeing those pictures of Mackenzie in her cast reminded me of Zachary's green cast from two years ago. Here he is seen sporting a well-signed cast and some cool headphones. Nearly all of these pictures are ones he took.

In August of 2006 Zachary and I went up for an introductory flight. Here we are about to preflight the Cessna 172 for our trip. Not shown is the certified flight instructor from Greece.

I have to tell you that this was a GREAT experience. And yes, I am flying the airplane. And no, it's not a flight simulator, though all those hours flying on the computer really helps. The flight instructor was really impressed that this was my first flight. Truth be told it was probably my 20th or so, but it was the first time that I was in the left seat (you can fly from the passenger side too). Oh and that's Nellis AFB off to my left.

Here we are heading east of KVGT (North Las Vegas Air Terminal) and just north or KLAS (McCarran Internaitional). The view of The Strip includes the Wynn with it's green golf course.

And here's our "destination", Hoover Dam on Lake Mead. We made a circle then headed back to KVGT. We (or I should say, I) landed the plane with a little bounce but otherwise all was well. It was a great time in the sky and I have to thank my wonderful wife, Kristin for it.

Oh, and here's the proof that I've been flying for years. This photo was taken around 1983 at Ramona Airport in California. From left to right: my dad, Dick; my little brother, Jess; my mother, Kathy; me, and my dad's mother, Grandma Judy. The Piper Archer II was one of the planes my dad flew a lot while in living in Southern California.

2 comments:

The Bechtol Family said...

what a neat experience!! how fun!!

Broderick Clan said...

Wow! I love the Ariel view of things.Those are some fun pictures! What a great experience to be able to fly. This is Rick's Dream. You will have to give him some pointers!