Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Poway High School: 20 Years Later

Shawn McCain and Aaron.

Shawn is one of my best friends since 6th grade. We both played the drums in band, all through our senior year. That's six years, people! He is still in the music biz, recently starting a new band. He and his wife, Kay have two kids and live in Murrieta, CA.

Aaron, Heather McCleod and Brant Bender.

Brant and I hung out in Drama classes our junior and senior years. He is the funniest, goofiest, most talented wedding photographer I know. Check out his awesome work at PhoenixPhotography.

Anyway, Brant and I were in our school's airband competition. Don't laugh. Remember this was 1988, and airbands were HUGE. He was George Michael and I was his bass player. Want to see what all the fuss was about? Click here.

That led to us recruiting Heather for the "Hot Chick". She is one of the coolest, funniest, hot-chick-goofballs I know. We went to the Morp dance our freshman year and she's always been fun to be around.

Kristin McCarthy and Aaron.

Kristin was another drama buddy. I think we were in more plays together than anyone I know. Kristin's house was THE place for Wrap Parties. She actually reminded me that I took out their cast-iron gate around their driveway. Shhessh, after 20 years you can't give a guy a break? After finishing USC's law school, she joined the Navy's JAG. She's a Lt. Commander and a lawyer! So she can kick your butt and send you to jail.

Speaking of butts, I am still waiting to see that picture.

Amy Blackburn, Steve Scates, Inna Scates and Aaron.

I've known Amy since middle school and though she moved from Poway her senior year and technically didn't gradute a Titan we still consider her an alumna. I almost fell over when she told me that she is Assistant Chief Pilot at AirNet flying Learjet 35's all around the country. I'm so jealous!!! Steve moved to Poway a week after I did and we were in Mrs. Whiton's 5th grade class. He and his wife, Inna, run a company in San Diego training..... pilots. UGGGHH, more jealousy.

Aaron and Todd Sallenbach.

Yes, good old Todd. Todd moved to Poway in 10th grade. He was in Poway 1st ward. Todd is now an ER doctor in Joshua Tree, near Palms Springs. He and his wife are proud parents of a darling little girl. I still remember when Ben Shipley's mom got mad at him during early morning seminary. It was one of the funniest momemts in seminary history. Just ask anyone who was there.

That's it for now. It was a great seeing everyone and I wish everyone all the best.

5 comments:

Meli said...

Dude I totally won an airband competetion in Junior High--Debbie Gibson "lost in your eyes" People used to think I looked like her, guess that helped!!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic site this blog is! It's nice to see all the friends alive and to cherish the memories of our younger years!

Gene said...

Glad you made your 20th. I never made it, but oh blah dah... oh blah dee... life goes on!

Vonavie said...

Great blog entry for the reunion! I wish I had taken more than two pictures! What a dummy! Vonavie (Leonard) Welch, better known at Charley's sister to band members.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't expect this post to bring back so many memories for. I remember watching the "Faith" air band concert and video, especially the video because it was hosted by Larry Himmel.